Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
1 whole head savoy cabbage
1 large red onion, chopped
500 g ground pork or ground beef (for vegetarians 500 g of mushrooms)
2 cups cooked rice
1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
salt, black pepper, ground cumin, spices
1. Remove core from cabbage. Place whole head in a large pot filled with boiling, salted water. Cover and cook 3 minutes, or until softened enough to pull off individual leaves.
2. Chop the remaining cabbage and place it in the bottom of a pot.
3. Saute the chopped onion in butter in a large frying pan until tender, and let it cool (If you want to use mushrooms to fry them with onions).
4. Mix cooled onions with pork, rice, garlic, salt and black pepper, ground cumin until well combined.
5. Place about 1/2 cup of meat on each cabbage leaf. Roll away from you to encase the meat. Flip the right side of the leaf to the middle, then flip the left side. You will have something that looks like an envelope. Once again, roll away from you to create a neat little roll.
6. Place the cabbage rolls on top of the chopped cabbage in the casserole pot.
7. Pour vegetable bouillon and tomato juice, and cook for 1 hour or until cabbage is tender and meat is cooked.